fiogf49gjkf0dOwen Epstein" align="left">
Dr Owen Epstein is Consultant Gastroenterologist at the Royal Free Hospital London, England.
Dr Epstein graduated from the University of the Witwatersrand Johannesburg, South Africa. After completing his registrar training with Dr Gerry Bevan at Edgware General Hospital, London, he moved to the Royal Free. Here, under the direction of Dame Sheila Sherlock, he pursued a research program into the pathogenesis of PBC. He was then appointed Lecturer in Medicine and in 1986, was appointed Consultant Gastroenterologist.
In 1998, Dr Epstein won the Hospital Doctor 'Gastroenterology Team of the Year' award, which reflected an interest in re-engineering clinical practice.
His current interests include the development of minimally invasive tests in gastroenterology and he has co-ordinated the BSG-Intercollegiate colonoscopy audit.
Owen Epstein has introduced the Discourse electronic medical classroom to the Royal Free campus, an innovation that might have a major impact in medical education.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- After medical school my heart was set on cardiology but after working with Dr Gerry Bevan, my gut instinct told me 'gastroenterology'.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Dame Sheila. I suspect this would be a unanimous vote from all that worked in her department.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- Marshall's first papers on H. pylori always remind me how many of the great leaps forward in science are a combination of anti-establishment thinking and serendipity.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- Radical process 're-engineering', rather than structural change, is the key to providing improving healthcare.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To take a sabbatical, trekking somewhere in Africa.
- What is your greatest regret?
- Not playing for Manchester United.
- How do you relax?
- Sitting in the conservatory reading the Sunday sports pages.
- What is your favorite sport?
- It's a toss-up between soccer and cricket. From my earliest years in South Africa, I followed every move made by Manchester United.
- What is your best place in the world?
- The waters-edge of a lagoon in the Okavango (Botswana).
- What is your favorite film?
- "The Great Escape" - a great metaphor for what we all try at some stage of our careers.
- What car do you drive?
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- An ADSL line at home.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- I'm struggling through "White Teeth".
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- My office at the Royal Free is next to Roy Pounder's - nowhere to hide.