fiogf49gjkf0dJohn Scholefield" align="left">
Professor Scholefield is Professor of Surgery at Universtiy Hospital Nottingham. His clinical interests cover a variety of colorectal diseases including colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease and benign anal conditions.
Professor Scholefield qualified from Liverpool in 1983 and then trained in surgery in Sheffield and at St Mark's in London. His MD thesis was in Papillomaviruses and anal cancer, which was awarded with distinction in 1991. After a further spell at St Marks as RSO he took up his appointment at University Hospital in Jack Hardcastle's department. He was promoted to Professor in January 2000.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist/hepatologist?
- I never liked medicine - surgery was always so much more dynamic. Colorectal disease offers a broad spectrum of cancer, non-cancer, big operations and little operations to keep me interested.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Mr E Parry - taught us anatomy after retiring from surgery when his Parkinsonism caught up with him. He was a gifted teacher and a gentleman.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- As a sceptic no one paper has really influenced me, but I do like the writings of Peter Scrabenek (also a sceptic).
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- Facts are only perceived, reality is an illusion.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Difficult to say and certainly not publishable.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To gain a helicopter pilot's licence.
- What is your greatest regret?
- Not learning to fly a helicopter when I had the chance.
- How do you relax?
- Golf and cycling (not usually at the same time).
- What is your favorite sport?
- Golf and cycling.
- What is your best place in the world?
- Nevis golf course.
- What is your favorite film?
- Das Boot.
- What car do you drive?
- Porsche Boxster.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- Sony Vaio laptop.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- Porsche 911 - A legend.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Roy Pounder twisted my arm.