fiogf49gjkf0dWasim Jafri" align="left">
Dr Wasim Jafri is Professor of Medicine and Head of the Gastroenterology Section at the Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan. He grew up in Lahore, Pakistan, and obtained his High School education at the Don Bosco High School. His family moved to Karachi after the tragic death of his brother, Nadim Jafri, aged 13. Here he studied at the D J Government Science College. He later trained at the Dow Medical College, Karachi and obtained his MB; BS degree from the University of Karachi.
Dr Jafri moved to England, where he received training in general medicine and gastroenterology between 1978 and 1984. After this period he worked as Chief of Medicine in Saudi Arabia for two years. He then returned to his home country of Pakistan, where he began working at the Aga Khan University. He undertook a fellowship in hepatology, with Professor E. Schiff, between 1997 and 1998.
Dr Jafri is one of the leading gastroenterologists in his region. He has published more than 70 publications in peer reviewed journals. He had been Secretary General of the Pakistan Society of Gastroenterology and GI Endoscopy, and is currently the Vice President of the Pakistan Association for the Study of Liver. His main areas of interest are chronic liver diseases from hepatitis B and C.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- The prevalence of gastrointestinal and liver diseases in Pakistan.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Professor Kashaf ud Duja and Professor C. Vellani.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- A paper in the BMJ regarding Child's classification of chronic liver disease.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- The fact that inflammatory disease is quite common in Pakistan, and that hepatitis C is the commonest cause of liver disease in Pakistan.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Allah is very kind to me.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To start a liver transplant program in Pakistan.
- What is your greatest regret?
- That I have not done more charitable work.
- How do you relax?
- Playing and talking with my daughter.
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your best place in the world?
- Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia.
- What is your favorite film?
- What car do you drive?
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- Yamada's "Textbook of Gastroenterology".
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Because of Roy Pounder's invitation.