fiogf49gjkf0dRakesh Tandon" align="left">
Rakesh Tandon graduated in 1963 from the KG Medical College Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India, and then completed his MD in 1966 at the same institution. He subsequently completed another year of medical residency, followed by three years of a gastroenterology fellowship in the USA.
In 1972, Dr Tandon joined his present institute, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences , New Delhi, as an Associate Professor of Medicine. He now occupies the Chair of Gastroenterology. His position involves providing patient care, as well as teaching and conducting research in gastroenterology.
Dr Tandon's main areas of research interest are hepatobiliary diseases, and this has been reflected in his publications. Of late, he has been very interested in finding out the cause of chronic pancreatitis in the tropics.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- During my medical residency I realized that gastrointestinal diseases were very common in India, and yet there were very few gastroenterologists available all over the world, and very few in India.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Dr Walter R. Thayer, Jr., Ex-Chief of GI Division, Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI, USA.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- Carey MC and Small DM, 'The physical chemistry of cholesterol solubility in bile. Relationship to gallstone formation and dissolution in man' (J Clin Invest 1978; 61: 998-1026).
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- The identification of a novel 69kD pronucleating glycoprotein in human bile.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Returning to India immediately after completing my GI fellowship in USA, without gaining sufficient experience in basic science research.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To find a medical remedy for tropical pancreatitis.
- What is your greatest regret?
- That I did not pursue laboratory research in USA following my clinical GI fellowship, and returned to India to take up an academic job at the AIIMS, New Delhi.
- How do you relax?
- By meeting friends and socializing.
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your best place in the world?
- New Delhi (India).
- What is your favorite film?
- I am fond of romantic and musical movies.
- What car do you drive?
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- My lap top.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- "Straight from the Heart", by Dr.N.K.Saini (1998 ed.), and published by Healthy Heart Publishing, Springfield, Ohio, USA.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- I found out about it during an international symposium in Shanghai.
View Favorite Slide