fiogf49gjkf0dMichael Wallace" align="left">
Michael Wallace was born and raised in Durham, North Carolina, USA, as a third-generation physician. After attending Oberlin College, in Ohio, where he studied Biology and Art History, he returned to Duke University School of Medicine in Durham.
Dr Wallace became interested in research after attending a one-year research externship with Don Ganem and Harold Varmus at UC San Francisco, studying Hepatitis B replication. He was persuaded by Don Ganem to go to the Brigham and Women's Hospital, in Boston, Massachusetts, where he completed a medical residency and GI fellowship. There he developed his current interest in clinical research in GI-Endoscopy.
Dr Wallace completed a Master's in Public Health at Harvard University, Massachusetts, studying biostatistics, epidemiology, and clinical trial design. He then returned to the southern United States, to learn advanced endoscopy skills with Robert Hawes and Peter Cotton, at MUSC. In 1999 he decided to stay on the faculty, where he continues to love the clinical research environment of MUSC, and Charleston, South Carolina.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist/hepatologist?
- I love the wide variety of diseases and procedures it offers.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Robert Hawes for his ability to do so many great things, and still be a great teacher and mentor.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- N Engl J Med 1992; 326(10): 653-7. It is one of the most elegant studies in clinical medicine and GI.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- That I cannot know everything I need or want to know.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Trying to do to many thinks at the same time.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To organize a major cooperative Gastroenterology Trial Research Group.
- What is your greatest regret?
- That more young gastroenterologists don't pursue academia.
- How do you relax?
- I play tennis and windsurf.
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your best place in the world?
- The southern Yucatan coast.
- What is your favorite film?
- "The Graduate".
- What car do you drive?
- Audi A4 Quattro.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- Palm Pilot.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- "The Wonder of Boys" (we're expecting our third).
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- The Internet is a perfect medium for the visually-oriented teaching of GI.