fiogf49gjkf0dJoseph Sung" align="left">
Joseph Sung obtained his medical degree from the University of Hong Kong in 1983 with the award of the Hong Kong Medical Association Prize of that year. He was conferred PhD at the University of Calgary in 1991 and MD by the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1997.
Dr Sung is currently the Chairman of Medicine and Chief of Service at the Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital.
He is serving as the Vice President Hong Kong Academy of Medicine, President of the Hong Kong Society of Gastroenterology, President of Hong Kong Society of Digestive Endoscopy and the Council of the Hong Kong College of Physicians.
Dr Sung's research interests include gastrointestinal bleeding, H. pylori-related diseases, portal hypertension and viral hepatitis.
He has published over 245 full scientific papers and 230 abstracts in international conferences.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- I was fascinated by the technology of fiberoptic endoscopy and its therapeutic potentials.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Sir David Todd.
- Which research paper (by another person) influenced you the most?
- "Unidentified curved bacilli on gastric epithelium in active chronic gastritis", Lancet, June 4 1983 by J Robin Warren.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- There is a God.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- To accept the administrative jobs that I was given.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To become a molecular biologist.
- What is your greatest regret?
- That I cannot spend as much time with students as I like.
- How do you relax?
- Sleep, watching movies.
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your best place in the world?
- Calgary, Canada.
- What is your favorite film?
- Dead Poets Society.
- What car do you drive?
- Volvo S80.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- My laptop computer.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- "Evidence-based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM" by Sackett, Straus, Richardson, Rosenberg and Haynes.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- 'Grabbed' by Roy Pounder during DDW and 'enticed' by Peter Cotton in his email.
View Favorite Slide