fiogf49gjkf0dJuan Rodés" align="left">
Professor Juan Rodés was born in Barcelona, Spain and graduated from Medical School in 1962, obtaining his PhD in 1967.
Following a fellowship in the University of Paris (Hôpital Saint Antoine), he became a staff member of the Hospital Clinic in Barcelona. He founded the Liver Unit in 1968, and was elected Director of this Unit in 1973. In 1985 he became a full Professor of Medicine in the University of Barcelona.
Currently he is the Research Director of the Hospital Clinic and Director of the Institut d'Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer' (IDIBAPS).
He is the author or co-author of 357 articles, 25 books and 83 chapters of books.
- What made you decide to become a hepatologist?
- I became a hepatologist because it was an emerging new speciality in the 1960s.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Jacques Caroli and his discovery of congenital dilatation of the intrahepatic bile ducts, now known as Caroli's disease, inspired me in my clinical work.
- Which research paper (by another person) influenced you the most?
- The first paper by Starzl, on liver transplantation.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- In my early days on therapeutic practice, I realized that therapy should be based on medicine. This is now known as evidence-based medicine. One example of this is the re-introduction of therapeutic paracentesis.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Not having been introduced to basic science earlier in my career.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To learn to play a musical instrument.
- What is your greatest regret?
- Having had to live my youth during a dictatorship.
- How do you relax?
- By reading and listening to music.
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your best place in the world?
- My country home in Montferri, Tarragona.
- What is your favorite film?
- Jacques Tati's, 'Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot'.
- What car do you drive?
- An Audi 6.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- 'A Physician of Bodies and Souls', by Taylor Kaldwell.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Because of Roy Pounder's excellent selling ability.