fiogf49gjkf0dGeorge Sachs" align="left">
George Sachs graduated in medicine and biochemistry (MBChB and DSc) at the University of Edinburgh. He began work on transport and focussed on gastric and renal transport mechanism and signaling in stomach. He defined the gastric acid pump and mechanisms of inhibition by PPI's and APA's. Recently his focus has been on acid resistance mechanisms of H. pylori, with special attention to UreI, a proton-gated urea channel responsible for acid resistance at medium pH 4.0.
His particular professional interests include; structure-function gastric ATPase, signalling in enterochromaffin-like (ECL) and enterochromaffin cells, and H. pylori gastric biology.
- What made you decide to become a gastric physiologist and pharmacologist?
- The presence of acid in the stomach. I wanted to determine the mechanisms and enzymes responsible for acid secretion, and to show that they are a good drug target.
- Who were the teachers you admired the most?
- Peter Mitchell, Warren Rehm.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- Peter Mitchell's review of chemiosmosis and Ephraim Racker's many contributions.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- Mechanism of gastric acid secretion, stimulus-secretion coupling in parietal cell, membrane topology of H,K ATPase, mechanism of acid resistance of H. pylori.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Ignoring my own data on ATPase activity of hog gastric membranes (1968), and following the red herring of HCO3 stimulation of ATPase in Necturus gastric mucosa.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- That the 5th amendment become effective in the UK.
- What is your greatest regret?
- Not meeting my wife when I was 21.
- How do you relax?
- Reading, writing papers.
- What is your favorite sport?
- Tennis, soccer, and cricket.
- What are your best places in the world?
- Haute Provence, France and La Jolla, California.
- What is your favorite film?
- Dr Zhivago.
- What car do you drive?
- Mercedes SL 500.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- Thinkpad laptop.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Roy Pounder asked me.