Click the Profiles banner above to see a random profile
Click a name in the right-hand column to see the selected profile for that person
fiogf49gjkf0dFrank Tovey" align="left">
Frank Tovey worked as a surgeon for two years in a mission hospital in SW China prior to the "Revolution" and later for 16 years in Mysore, S India, to enable the conversion of a Women and Children's Hospital into a full General Hospital. He then became involved in the surgical management of duodenal ulcer and also its geographical distribution and relationship to staple diets. Among his other interests was the development of reconstructive surgery in leprosy. Upon returning to the UK in 1968 he was appointed to Basingstoke to help commission the new hospital as it was built. He also continued research into dietary protective factors against duodenal ulceration as an Honorary Research Fellow at UCH. In addition to this Dr Tovey established a diabetic foot care clinic based on his previous experience with neuropathic feet in leprosy. Since retirement in 1986 he has continued with duodenal ulcer research.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- The enthusiasm of Mr Melville Capper, and then being presented with problems and having to cope alone.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Mr Melville Capper.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- Somervell TH. Further contributions to the causation and treatment of duodenal ulcer and its complication. Br J Surg 1942; 30: 113-25.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- That duodenal cancer is more common in people on rice diets than in those on unrefined wheat.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Spending many years trying to prove that buffer in dietary fiber protected against duodenal ulcer.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To isolate and identify the dietary factor(s) giving protection against duodenal ulcer.
- What is your greatest regret?
- That I am not musical.
- How do you relax?
- Reading fiction, walking and travel.
- What is your favorite sport?
- Sorry to say "none".
- What is your favorite film?
- The Sound of Music.
- What car do you drive?
- VW Golf.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- My computer - but it's exasperating too!
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Because Roy Pounder invited me!
View Favorite Slide
Email this page to a colleague