fiogf49gjkf0dEugene Schiff" align="left">
Eugene R. Schiff, MD, is a Professor of Medicine, Chief of the Division of Hepatology and Director of the Center for Liver Diseases at the University of Miami School of Medicine.
Affiliated with a number of professional organizations, Dr. Schiff is a member of the American Gastroenterological Association, the American College of Gastroenterology, and the American College of Physicians. He is President-elect for the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and is a member of the subspecialty board of Gastroenterology for the American Board of Internal Medicine.
He is an editor of Schiff's Diseases of the Liver and has authored or co-authored over 200 articles.
He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan and his medical degree from Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons. He completed his internship at Cincinnati General Hospital; residencies in internal medicine at Cincinnati General Hospital and Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas; and was a USPHS post doctoral fellow in gastroenterology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas.
- What made you decide to become a hepatologist?
- My father was a world-renowned hepatologist.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Harry Rose, a professor at Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- Barry Blumberg's paper on Australia Antigen. (Bayer ME, Blumberg BS, Werner B. Particles associated with Australia antigen in the sera of patients with leukaemia, Down's Syndrome and hepatitis. Nature 1968; 218: 1057-9.)
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- That you must check and recheck, and not trust anyone.
- What is the biggest mistake that you have made?
- Not spending more time with my children when they were growing up.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To be financially independent during my seventies and eighties.
- What is your greatest regret?
- I didn't learn to type.
- How do you relax?
- Reading a novel.
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your best place in the world?
- Laguna Niguel, CA.
- What is your favorite film?
- 'A Place in the Sun'.
- What car do you drive?
- Lexus SC400.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- Psion 5.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- Ken Follett's 'Summer of Eden'.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Frankly, I am not sure and still have my doubts.