fiogf49gjkf0dEinar Oddsson" align="left">
Einar Oddsson was born in 1943 in Reykjavik, Iceland. He graduated from the University of Iceland in 1971 and completed his training in medicine and gastroenterology in Copenhagen (Gentofte and Herlev) at the department led by Povl Riis.
Dr Oddsson is interested in both general gastroenterology and endoscopy. He has done research on gastritis, IBD, IBS, Helicobacter pylori, and the effect of NSAIDs.
Dr Oddsson is currently a Consultant in Gastroenterology at Landspitalinn University Hospital in Reykjavik. He is additionally on the editorial board of the Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology.
He is married to Eva and they have two children and five grandchildren.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- I went into training at the GI department in Gentofte, Copenhagen and soon found it interesting and stimulating work. It was both the clinical and the technical sides that I found challenging, and I thought it worthwhile to continue.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Professor Povl Riis is the teacher I admire most. He is a very talented man and an eminent academic who has the ability to teach many things besides medicine.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- That is difficult to say. Maybe the letters by Warren and Marshal about the recognition of Helicobacter pylori.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- That the practice of medicine still has as much of art as science, in spite of all the scientific progress through the years.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To be a scratch player in golf.
- What is your greatest regret?
- Not realizing that the artifacts I saw many years ago on the histologic slides of gastric biopsies were important.
- How do you relax?
- Horse-riding, reading, and listening to classical music (not necessarily at the same time).
- What is your favorite sport?
- Horse-riding. I have been playing a lot of golf, but horse-riding is the best.
- What is your best place in the world?
- The Icelandic wilderness, preferably on a good horse - the weather does not matter.
- What is your favorite film?
- Silent movies.
- What car do you drive?
- Musso 4X4.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- My HP PowerBook.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- "History of the World, a New Perspective" by Clive Ponting.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- I was invited by Roy Pounder, and could not say no, since I have become interested in GI publications on the Internet.